Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Como se llama...

Spanish quiche?  Oh yes, torta.  I was a high school student studying abroad in Spain when I first learned of this dish, except I think it was introduced to me as "tortilla," its alternate name.  Confusion abounded.  But...what...aren't tortillas flat? and ... Okay, so it turned out tortillas or tortas are totally different from Mexican tortillas - think less burrito wrapper and more quiche without a crust.  All you need are:
  • 3-4 eggs
  • potatoes, finely sliced (I used red potatoes and sliced really thinly, but I think any potato works)
  • sliced green peppers 
  • shredded cheese (the original recipe calls for manchego cheese but I just used whatever I had, which was swiss and mozzarella)
  • sliced onions
  • I threw in some diced garlic because my ancestral people love the garlic
And because I have no patience for pic-by-pic instructions, here they are, sans pics:  Get out your oven-safe skillet, layer the potato slices on the bottom, saute them for a bit, then add the other ingredients (sans cheese); whip up the eggs with the cheese as well as S&P, and pour the mixture into the skillet.  Everything should be covered by the liquid.  Leave it on medium heat until it starts turning into a quiche-like cake, and when it's almost done, pop it in the oven at 325 so the top will brown.  Done!  Yum.

Pic by me; effects via Picasa

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...